20 years ago (2002)
Defense was expected to be one of the strengths of Warrior football this year as they fired seven defensive players. That proved correct as Brainerd shut down 8th-ranked Alexandria 27-14 in front of a capacity crowd here. Defensive backs Jake Phillips and Kevin Mertens intercepted passes and three Warriors picked up fumbles.
30 years ago (1992)
Franklin Junior High started their 60se year with 80 additional students compared to last year. The school inherits the large classes that have overwhelmed Washington Middle School in recent years. Brainerd High School also added approximately 45 additional students this year as it grew.
40 years ago (1982)
(Pictured) Ernest Gosse of the Meadowview Trailer Court trapped this albino pocket gopher in Sylvan Prairie, just east of Fisherman’s Bridge. The creature is the only albino Gosse has ever seen, although he trapped thousands of pocket gophers for many years, so he had it ridden by a taxidermist.
60 Years Ago (1962)
Washington High School sophomores toured the new YMCA building today. The boys will swim at the “Y” every Friday as part of their regular gym class, while the girls will swim on Mondays. During the rest of the week, the swimming pool will be used by primary school children.
80 years ago (1942)
War bond sales in Brainerd at the end of the seventh day of the September campaign, sponsored by Brainerd’s two theaters, totaled $41,127, according to Elmer Peterson, chairman of the county’s bond sale. Practice opened with a parade in theaters a week ago.
100 years ago (1922)
A group of Brainerd businessmen are reported to be meeting with the executive committee of striking railway workers at the offices of the Chamber of Commerce. The intention of the meeting is to discuss the issue of granting credit to strikers and other issues relating to the strike situation.
28/50: People in the waiting area of the Northern Pacific Railroad depot, circa 1910. Source: ‘Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area’, published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
29/50: Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dance and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: “Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area” published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
30/50: The state champion was that 1894 Brainerd amateur baseball team, which later saw two of those players advance to the major leagues. Pictured are (front row) Frary, receiver; Phyle, rf-pit.; Howe, pit., rf; C. McCarthy, 1st; (middle row) Burgum, shortstop, WP Buckley, manager; Hill; 3rd; (back row) W. McCarthy, cf; Blandy, yes; Warner, 2nd. Source: ‘Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971’. Reprinted from the Centenary edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1971.
37/50: Brainerd Fire Department. Shipping Archive
38/50: WE Lively, the Maxwell car dealer, sold a Maxwell to Joseph Johnson. Pictured is a 1911 Maxwell Mascotte Touring by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1526033
39/50: This truck belonged to the Silas Hall transfer line just after the First World War. It was used to transport goods from the NP (Northern Pacific Railroad) depot to city stores as well as for other types of moves. The photo was taken in front of the rail freight office. Before the truck, Silas Hal used horse and wagon teams he kept at 415 Main (now Washington Street). Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
40/50: Brainerd’s 1916 police force, pictured here, included the following men: the plainclothes men at either end were Jack Brandt (left) and Ted Nesheim; (front row, left to right) Charles Varner, Chief, and Tom Templeton. (Rear, left to right) Erick Graff, Hans Saude and August Swanson. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
41/50: This building in Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known Brainerd landmark, was the headquarters of the Citizen’s State Bank from 1909 until 1927, when the bank later moved to neighborhoods across the street. This photo was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
42/50: The “fill” field rink, located near Franklin Junior High School, winter 1938-1939. Source: “Out of the Woods, An Illustrated History of the Brainerd Lakes Region”, published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
43/50: People in the waiting area of the Northern Pacific Railroad depot, circa 1910. Source: ‘Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area’, published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
44/50: 60 Years Ago (1959) (Picture) 15-year-old Robert Dobson is interested in how long he can keep a kite in the air. He launched a kite at 3pm yesterday near the courthouse and it is still flying despite a near disaster when a truck caught the kite string. The meteorologist says there will still be wind today. Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.
45/50: Brainerd Dispatch Archives
46/50: The State Hospital campus on Highway 18.
47/50: Santa Claus takes a ride during a Christmas parade in downtown Brainerd.
48/50: Children crowd around Santa Claus during Christmas festivities in downtown Brainerd.
50/50: Brainerd Dispatch Archives